Consolidation in 1947
- Published: October 05, 2004 by andy
- Updated: October 27, 2010 by Carol
In 1947, the present Ninety-One School was formed when five smaller schools decided to consolidate into one school. The five schools were Whiskey Hill, Needy, Ninety-One, Meridian, and Oak Lawn. The current site, formerly where Whiskey Hill School was located, seemed best suited for future expansion. During the first year of consolidation, the younger students (grades 1-4) went to the old Ninety-One School, and the older students (grades 4-8) went to school in the Whiskey Hill School house. The old school building was moved across the street in 1948 and was turned into the Whiskey Hill Store. A new building, consisting of five classrooms, an auditorium, and a cafeteria, was built at a cost of $60,000.
The school board meetings from 1948 to 1950 were filled with heated discussions about selecting a name for the new school. Everyone wanted in on the decision. Many people who had something to do with the school said that they had no input and sent anonymous letters. The school board finally decided to accept suggested names and have people vote on it. Hawthorne won with Whiskey Hill a close second.
The issue still was not settled as people argued between the names of Whiskey Hill and Hawthorne. In March of 1950, the school board decided to name the school "Ninety-One Joint." A month later, "Joint" was dropped, and the school became as we know it today, Ninety-One.